[linux-lvm] XFS_freeze and LVM

Peter Keller pkeller at globalphasing.com
Thu Nov 27 10:28:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

IIRC sometime around 2005 developments in LVM meant that using xfs_freeze
before creating a snapshot became the wrong thing to do. See the entry in
the changelog for revision 0.15 of the LVM how-to at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ . You will probably find that authoritative
recommendations to use xfs_freeze relate to versions of LVM from before this
time. (Please correct me if I am wrong about this, someone.)

Also bear in mind that filesystem transactions do not correspond to database
(i.e. MySQL) transactions. To get a reliable backup using a snapshot you may
need to allow uncommitted database transactions to complete or roll back
while preventing new ones from being started, then take the snapshot. Oracle
has a way of doing this that doesn't need the database to be completely shut
down, but I have no experience with MySQL so I can't be more specific.

Good luck,
Peter.

--
Peter Keller                                     Tel.: +44 (0)1223 353033
Global Phasing Ltd.,                             Fax.: +44 (0)1223 366889