[linux-lvm] Help - Can't find the ext3 filesystem on dm-0

prashant laxman waman prashant_waman at rediffmail.com
Sat Oct 11 12:53:55 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I have a problem with lvm as described below:
1. I had a system with on 80GB and 1000GB HDD with one /boot (ext3) and on VolGroup00 wth LogVol00 and working fine.2. Now i added one more HDD (1000 GB), created partition using fdisk and tried to create the filesystem with mkfs.3. while executing mkfs, it started giving some i/o errors. I restarted the system.4. After boot it started giving errors like xxx uuid not found-- VolGroup00 not found -- kernel panic -- killing5. After searching on google for more than one week, i performed following operations:6. As /root was inside the LVM partition, can't access the /etc/lvm/backup, so copied the Volume Group data from 80GB HDD using hex editor on windows.7. Created a file (vol.vg) from it.8. Executed following commands from rescue disk pvcreate -ff --uuid xxx --restorefile vol.vg /dev/sda2 pvcreate -ff --uuid xxx --restorefile vol.vg /dev/sdb1 vgcfgrestore -f vol.vg vgchange -ay lvscan mount /dev/VolGroup00/Logvol00 /mnt/volIt gives error: file/di!
 rectory not founddmesg shows error: EXT3 global descriptor corrupt
9. If i boot from the disk, while booting it gives error: VFS: can't find ext3 filesystem on dm-0
Sorry for such lengthy mail but i am working for last one week on this and panic now.
I wan't to recover my 950 GB data from it.
Please help me.
Thanks in advanced.
Prashant