[linux-lvm] [IMPORTANT]LVM+iSCSI issue..Local Disk disappeared..

himanshu padmanabhi himanshu.padmanabhi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 07:40:02 UTC 2008

Thnx everyone(Esp. peter).....Your comments were really useful.

Just want to ask one thing....

We can get physical volumes associated with given LV using "lvdisplay -m
"/dev/vgname/lvname".....Is the information given by it no so sure.....

Because you specified that "we cannot get which PV's are associated with
which LV".

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Peter Larsen <plarsen at ciber.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 15:57 +0530, himanshu padmanabhi wrote:
> > We configured it as
> >
> > Case 1
> > [....]
> > Deleted lv1,
> > removed pv2,
> > vg is getting displayed properly in vgs command
> > Case 2
> > [...]
> > Deleted lv1,
> > logout from iscsi target
> > vg is not getting displayed properly in vgs command
>
> Those are not the same? In case 1 you tell LVM to drop a storage (I
> assume by removing pv2 you first take it out of the vg and then apply
> pvremove). In case 2 you you're simulating media failure to LVM. You
> can't just remove a media it depends on. Regardless if LVM has data on
> the PV or not.
>
> Are you trying to make failover work? If so, your approach is a bit
> wrong. Setup a software raid 1 first, then build your PV on that. Once
> done, you can remove one disk and your LVM will continue to run
> (degraded).
>

> ---
> Regards
>    Peter Larsen
>
> I don't kill flies, but I like to mess with their minds.  I hold them
> above
> globes.  They freak out and yell "Whooa, I'm *way* too high."
>                -- Bruce Baum

Regards,
Himanshu Padmanabhi