[linux-lvm] How to monitor and possibly autoextend snapshots

Marcin Kałuża marcin.kaluza at comarch.pl
Mon Oct 27 12:17:43 UTC 2008

Hi,
Well, that's not much of help since after it becomes invalid I'll know it
anyway (IO error ;D), so the event is purely informational.
The "other program" is just my simple script, that periodically scans all
mounted snapshots, checks if their root has specific xattrs set ("increase"
and "maxsize" - drawback is that it has to be mounted to work, the bonus is
that it is mountpoint and configuration file independent) and based on those
parameters it polls and resizes those snapshots if necessary. The problem
with this script is that if it polls them not often enough, there is a
possibility that it won't resize it in time.

The simplest (and mostly sufficient) thing to do would be forewarning that
you talk about.

The way I see it:
In it's simplest form, at snapshot creation (or later of course) you would
give an extra param like --warn-level with either absolute size or
percentage value, so that lvm emits an event when free space in the snapshot
goes below that value.
I think this doesn't require much work.

Better solution would be to have another two parameters, like --increase-by
and --max-size, that would tell lvm to enlarge the snapshot by --increase-by
MB's or percent when free space goes below --warn-limit(it could emit the
event anyway). --max-size would be enlargment limit, because sometimes we
might prefer snapshot to become invalid than to eat up too much space in vg.
Of course without --max-size the snapshot would extend until reaching the
size of original lv.
But I suppose this requires significantly more coding.

greetz,
Martin