[linux-lvm] Mirrored LV

Koen Vermeer koen at vermeer.tv
Tue Sep 16 19:20:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

I was thinking of using a mirrored LV as a easier to use alternative to
a RAID1 PV (with matching VG and LV). I tried to find the information I
need on how this works and how to set it up, but so far, I failed.

First, am I right in trying to use LVM in this way? I have two disks,
and I just want to mirror some LVs.

Second, I am confused by the apparent need to have this log stored on
another device. Actually, this doesn't seem true in two ways: There's
the option of having the log in memory and then the documentation only
says that the log is 'usually on a separate device'. Does that mean that
using a mirrored LV makes no sense on a system with two disks? Or should
I just keep the log in memory in this case? Or can I use another PV on
one of the disks? Should this be mirrored as well? What happens if I
loose that data?

>From what I found when searching for answers, it seems that I'm not the
only one that's confused... But maybe my searching skills are just
lacking. Anyway, I appreciate any help and insights!

Best,
Koen