[linux-lvm] Mirrored LV

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Sat Sep 20 03:39:52 UTC 2008

Just to answer some questions:

You can use just 2 disks to create a mirror and a disk log:
prompt> lvcreate --alloc anywhere -m1 -L 500M -n my_lv my_vg

I wish the allocation policy 'normal' (which is the default) would
also do this... but instead you must choose a looser allocation policy
to get what you want.

The reason that you want the disk-based log is to prevent all the
extra work when you machine comes up.

The reason that LVM wants a separate disk for the log is so the head
on the storage device doesn't need to go ping-ponging around the
device.  (The log is touched for almost every write.)  So, its a
performance thing... and possibly a not-wear-out-your-hardware thing
too.

It won't matter if the master disk with the log dies.  Your mirror
will simply become a linear device composed of the last remaining disk
anyway.

  brassow