[linux-lvm] lvm over loop device

Geert Geurts begeert at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:44:40 UTC 2008

Hello Bryn,
I haven't had the time yet to try Stuart's suggestion... I've re did my
attempt to create the lv though, and this time with the -vvv option in
the step where I create the lv.
my steps:
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=./disk0 # copy a existing LVM-partition to a file
losetup -f ./disk0 	   # link the file to a loop device
pvcreate /dev/loop0	   # create a pv using the file
vgcreate SmallDiskGroup /dev/loop0 # create a new volumegroup using the
loop0 device as phisical volume.
vgchange -a y SmallDiskGroup #Activate the volumegroup

nb. vgdisplay SmallDiskGroup gives 'Act PV 1' but 'MAX LV 0'

the output of lvcreate -vvv -L1 -nSmallDiskVolume SmallDiskGroup is
downloadable here: http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=m2b9dcd7f

I hope you can find anything.

Greetings,
Geert