[linux-lvm] Simulating LVM Mirror Failure and recovery

Don Bishop donbishop at mediacell.com
Thu Apr 16 14:18:39 UTC 2009

Hey Eric

Nice to see your still around. How's it all going?

best,
Don B

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 07:58 -0600, Eric Brunson wrote:

> On 04/16/2009 07:36 AM, Eric Brunson wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you provide the reference - where does it say this?
> >>
> >> Alasdair
> >
> > I believe this is the reference.
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/mirrorrecover.html
> >

> > Their example may be in error.
> >

> Upon review, I think it's correct, but worded awkwardly:
>
>     In this example, the primary leg of the mirror |/dev/sda1| fails.
>     Any write activity to the mirrored volume causes LVM to detect the
>     failed mirror. When this occurs, LVM converts the mirror into a
>     single linear volume. In this case, to trigger the conversion, we
>     execute a |dd| command
>
>     [root at link-08 ~]#*|dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vg/groupfs count=10|*
>     10+0 records in
>     10+0 records out
>

> I believe the dd is not to cause the failure, it's simply to generate
> write activity to the volume group after the mirror leg has been caused
> to fail through other means not documented.
>
> Anyone else think that's the case?
>
> e.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain
information belonging to the sender that may be confidential and legally
individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent
as indicated above.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the
contents of the information contained in this transmissions is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
reply by e-mail to let me know and then permanently delete the message.
Thank you.