[linux-lvm] show free space _inside_ logical volume

Lyn Rees Rees at cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 08:17:23 UTC 2009

If you mount the filesystem, 'df' will tell you how big it is, you can
compare that to the output of lvdisplay.
Mr Lyn Rees
Senior Engineer, UIG
Information Services Computing Centre
Cardiff University, 40-41 Park Place,
Cardiff. CF10 3BB.
Contact numbers:
 (029) 2087 9188 (direct)
 (029) 2087 4875 (reception)
 (029) 2087 4285 (fax)
Email: rees at cardiff.ac.uk
Web: www.cardiff.ac.uk

From:
Gabriel <jarod125 at gmail.com>
To:
linux-lvm at redhat.com
Date:
01/12/2009 00:46
Subject:
[linux-lvm] show free space _inside_ logical volume

Hi all,

I'm interested to know if it is possible to check the amount of free
space _inside_ a LV. I know that usually a LV is fully "occupied" by a
partition, but there is a (short) period when there is a gap between
the size of the partition and the size of the LV it resides on. That
happens _after_ doing a lvextend and _before_ doing the resize
(expand) of the filesystem.

First thing I thought of was lvdisplay. While I can see how many LEs
the LV has, I cannot see how many of them are in use by the filesystem
and how many are free (the way pvdisplay shows total/free/allocated
PEs).

It was suggested to me that I try some filesystem tools (resize2fs,
dumpe2fs, tune2fs etc.) that might show me the free space. resize2fs
does not have a 'dry-run' option that would have shown the new size
(in blocks) of the filesystem and I didn't find anything useful in
tune2fs' manual either.

dumpe2fs shows various information such as block count, free blocks
and block size, but I see no modifications when running this before
and after the lvextend command.

I also tried parted -l, but to no avail.