[linux-lvm] Re: brainfart: lilo'd a PV

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 18 02:03:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 19:48 -0500, Takahiro Yasui wrote:

> Yes. The area begin with "LABELONE" is PV label,

Looks like the LVM developers foresaw my brainfart and left the first
sector of the disk for me to bugger up without buggering up LVM.  :-)

> which is recorded in
> the first sector by default.

Hrm.  Do you really mean "first" there or second, which is sector 1 if
you start counting with 0?

> This is the description from the pvcreate
> man page.
>
>        --labelsector sector
>               By default the PV is labelled with an  LVM2  identifier  in  its
>               second  sector (sector 1).

Yes, this looks so.

>   This lets you use a different sector
>               near the start of the disk (between 0  and  3  inclusive  -  see
>               LABEL_SCAN_SECTORS in the source).  Use with care.

> You don't have any problem on the PV, do you?

I don't think I do:

# pvdisplay /dev/sda
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda
  VG Name               datavol
  PV Size               931.51 GB / not usable 1.71 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              238467
  Free PE               85356
  Allocated PE          153111
  PV UUID               C22uVB-4m26-5cvl-I11V-NXCm-mVNo-UTAXUH

But of course, I just want to get the opinion of the experts.

> I don't think you need something to repair the PV.

I don't think so either, but of course, do want to confirm my suspicion.

Thanx much for your insight.

b.