[linux-lvm] Is my xen hosting tech support misleading me?

Tim Post echo at echoreply.us
Tue Feb 3 07:34:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 09:02 +0200, Shachar Or wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Attached is a question I've asked my xen hosting provider's technical
> support and the answer they've supplied.
>
> Sam sais "There is no LVM module available, so you would need to compile
> LVM by yourself from the Xen kernel sources." but I've no problem
> needed. So is he just wrong?

Probably, however your going to need to find out if you have the entire
dm_* family for the functionality that you want (i.e. snapshots). You
should (on your VM) simply be able to install lvm2 via yum, apt-get or
whatever packaging mechanism is provided by your distribution.

I use lvm2 on literally hundreds of paravirtualized Xen guests without a
problem.

A word of warning, don't make LV's (or their snapshots) a prerequisite
to boot .. since you have no control over your initrd. If your provider
has given you xvda and xvdb , use xvdb for your pv, keep the root file
system on xvda.

Cheers,
--Tim