[linux-lvm] Doubts on Snapshots

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Wed Feb 4 15:14:43 UTC 2009

This is a misunderstanding of what snapshot does. To minimize copying, it
makes a special volume containing the OLD versions of only those sectors
CHANGED since the snap was made. Thus, when mated with the original,
continually-being-updated volume, it can reconstruct its state at the time
of the snap. Without the original, it cannot do much.

I think what you want is mirroring or rsync.

Larry Dickson
Cutting Edge Networked Storage