[linux-lvm] Query regarding conversion of root partition to LV

Prateek Donni prateek.donni at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 18:36:35 UTC 2009

Hey George,
     I am trying to make use of LVM's existing mirroring feature to
protect data from disk failures.
So i want to convert the original root into an LV.
I thought of making a block device with the free space(as in which is
allocated inside as root )  and create a PV of the same. can this help
? then on the second disk which may have unallocated space, i create
another PV and mirror a volume across it using LVM features.
I dont want to make use of RAID and i have to have my application run
w/o a reboot.

Any suggestions which you can give me considering the above constraints ....

Thanks Prateek