[linux-lvm] lvm2 specificiation

Vinay Srini vsrini at spikesource.com
Thu Feb 5 21:54:00 UTC 2009

Hello,

New to linux-lvm, I have been looking around to understand lvm, and have
a few questions.

I have a requirement to mount multiple volume groups with the same name
(VolGroup00, as that is the most popular default name), without first
using vgrename (because something might go wrong, and I may not be able
to restore the name back).

I tried multiple variations including chroot to mount volumegroups.
Seems to be some conflict with device mapper (since chroot uses the same
kernel module).

Another way was to modify and compile my own version of lvm-tools to
give volume groups another name (alias) before mounting them, and was
not successful.

Can someone point me in a direction that I could try? Also, have been
looking around, and cannot find the specification for lvm2. Can I get a
pointer to that too.

thanks,
Vinay Srini