[linux-lvm] lvm2 specificiation

Vinay Srini vsrini at spikesource.com
Thu Feb 5 23:13:47 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:54:00PM -0800, Vinay Srini wrote:
>>> I have a requirement to mount multiple volume groups with the same
>>> name (VolGroup00, as that is the most popular default name), without
>>> first using vgrename (because something might go wrong, and I may not
>>> be able to restore the name back).
>>
>> It was an early design decision that every VG on a system should have a
>> different name.  Departures from that won't get supported - because
>> it's so
>> simple to choose different names!
>
> How do you move drives around among machines then, if they have been
> created with the default names that will conflict?

These are flat files mounted in a directory across the network. Which
when accessed, gets bytes across the network. (mounted using fuse libs)

eg. if the flat file is located in /mnt/over-network/flat,
# losetup -f --show /mnt/over-network/flat
/dev/loop0

# vgscan (this will find my VolGroup00)
# .. and so on

One example is mounting virtual machine drives from the virtual server
on to my desktop. In this case, i would like to perform some operations
on the drive (copy from/to etc), and unmount.

Is there an RFC for the lvm design that I could read throught to better
understand this?

Vinay.