[linux-lvm] Dead device and cleaning up LVM

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Mon Feb 9 17:45:46 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Anyone know how I can remove this device both from the system and from
> LVM safely?  I can reboot, but saving that as a last resort if
> possible.

You don't mention the name of your VG/LV but you should be able to
remove the active lvm devices with "dmsetup remove", e.g.:

dmsetup remove $VG-$LV

For each LV in each VG that was using the iSCSI devices.

> Also, any best practices or suggestions for using iSCSI backed block
> devices as volgroup members would be appreciated.  I'm worried about
> LVM not recognizing the volume group of physical volumes correctly on
> reboots...

You might need to label any file system mounts in /etc/fstab with
"_netdev" and enable the netfs service to have the VGs automatically
activated/mounted at boot time.

Regards,
Bryn.