[linux-lvm] Dead device and cleaning up LVM

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Mon Feb 9 18:26:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:58:04AM -0800, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:45:46AM -0800, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> > Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > > Anyone know how I can remove this device both from the system and from
> > > LVM safely?  I can reboot, but saving that as a last resort if
> > > possible.
> >
> > You don't mention the name of your VG/LV but you should be able to
> > remove the active lvm devices with "dmsetup remove", e.g.:
> >
> > dmsetup remove $VG-$LV
> >
> > For each LV in each VG that was using the iSCSI devices.
>
> Beautiful.  This did the trick!  I can now also unload the iSCSI kernel
> modules correctly on the initiator.

Also, just an FYI in case anyone else runs across this thread... to get
my filesystem back (pvscan didn't detect the LVM at all):

  # pvcreate --uuid 3HpAVg-fRz0-HWXp-EFxK-khVO-IvN6-J4a6w1 /dev/sdb
  (Found the old UUID by examining the /etc/lvm/backup directory)
  # vgcfgrestore FTP1
  # vgchange -ay FTP1
  # fsck.ext3 /dev/FTP1/LogVol00
  # mount -a