[linux-lvm] Re: About fstab and fsck

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Feb 12 21:20:01 UTC 2009

>>> Just a reminder: Linux has xfs since 2002. A full-blown fsck on xfs is
>>> a rare thing.
>> Similarly, I don't know of any case where fsck on an ext3 partition
>> turned out to be useful.  As a matter of fact, my home router's ext3
> I wouldn't go that far. It all depends what messed the file system up in the
> first place.

That's the thing: nothing did.  So why run fsck at all?

> Ext3 bugs, minor scribbling and suchlike generally get tidied up
> reasonably well by e2fsck.  It's quite true that with major corruption
> to the file system there's often not an awful lot left afterwards but
> that's true of many other file systems as well.

Oh, you're thinking of using fsck for recovery purposes.
That's a different situation.  I was just talking about the idea of "not
needing to do fsck any more", which is pretty much already the case for
XFS and ext3, AFAIK.

>> partition is never fsck'd (it would take way too much time to this poor
>> 266MHz thingy to fsck my 1TB filesystem).
> /me wonders why a router needs a 1TB fs :-)

Actually I call it "router" because it was sold as such and it replaced
a machine which I originally used as such as well.  Really it's just
a small home server which stores&plays my music, stores my movies and
other such things, ...  It doesn't actually do any routing at all.

        Stefan