[linux-lvm] Need Help Removing Physical Disk From LVM

moodyjunk at frontiernet.net moodyjunk at frontiernet.net
Fri Feb 20 18:22:07 UTC 2009

I'm hoping someone here can give a LVM newbie some basic help.

I have a logical volume with 2 physical volumes, sda1 and sdb1, both
1T.  I want to permanently remove sdb1 so I can move it to another
system.  I've manually moved much of the data over to another drive
not in the logical volume, leaving more than a drives worth of free
space in the logical volume. I try to evacuate sdb1 via pvmove but I
get an error message that there are no extents available:
   pvmove /dev/sdb1
   No extents available for allocation

df shows the logical volume has 1.2T available so I would think I
should be able to evacuate sdb1:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       9.7G  3.0G  6.3G  32% /
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
                       1.8T  534G  1.2T  32% /storage
/dev/sda1             190M   13M  168M   7% /boot
tmpfs                 1.7G     0  1.7G   0% /dev/shm

I'm thinking that I may need to shrink the filesystem somehow before
the pvmove and subsequent vgreduce, but I don't know how. And I really
don't want to experiment and lose my data.

pvdisplay -m reports:

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda2
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 931.32 GB / not usable 7.11 MB
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 29802
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 29802
PV UUID 0uKTxg-SCd9-NA1Z-BYt5-e2vl-fQ72-nrXywf

--- Physical Segments ---
Physical extent 0 to 29801:
Logical volume /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
Logical extents 0 to 29801

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sdb1
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 931.51 GB / not usable 11.19 MB
Allocatable yes
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 29808
Free PE 2
Allocated PE 29806
PV UUID Mlvnwl-YJ1B-s7Fk-Kz7F-mf5G-1Fvk-BKXIN6

--- Physical Segments ---
Physical extent 0 to 319:
Logical volume /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
Logical extents 0 to 319