[linux-lvm] vgchange doesn't enable found VGs

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Feb 27 17:30:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 17:02 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> So it's not scanning /dev/sda at all (only ramdisks?).

So it seems, yes.

> Do you have any
> filter settings in lvm.conf

devices {
    dir = "/dev"
    scan = [ "/dev" ]
    preferred_names = [ ]
    filter = [ "a/.*/" ]
    cache_dir = "/etc/lvm/cache"
    cache_file_prefix = ""
    write_cache_state = 1
    sysfs_scan = 1
    md_component_detection = 1
    ignore_suspended_devices = 0
}

>  and are you sure that the SD device nodes
> will have been created at this point in the boot process?

Well, the data from the previous message was done on a fully booted
machine, complete with /dev/sda being present for many, many minutes if
not hours.

> You don't mention the distribution you're using

RHEL5.2.

> but most 2.6 based
> setups will use udev to manage driver loading and device node creation
> during boot. It's possible for these to get out of sync in some cases.

Yes, but again, the data I am giving you is being taken from a
completely up and running system.

> Is there any way you can grab a listing of /dev at the moment the
> vgchange runs during boot?

Not relevant per above.

> Did it scan /dev/sda this time?

Yes.

> Just to be clear, are you only seeing this problem during boot or are
> you able to reproduce once the system has completed booting (i.e.
> vgchange -ay fails but vgchange -ay <vg name> succeeds)?

As per the above, I can reproduce on a completed booted system.

b.