[linux-lvm] Major problems after soft raid 5 failure

malahal at us.ibm.com malahal at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 15 01:04:41 UTC 2009

Colin Faber [cfaber at gmail.com] wrote:
> was unavailable. After searching around I kept coming back to suggestions
> stating that removal of the missing device from the volume group was the
> solution to getting thing back online again. So using 'vgreduce
> --removemissing raid' then 'lvchange -ay raid' to update the changes -
> Neither command errored and vgreduce noted that 'raid' was not available
> again.

Since your LV (array) is most likely allocated on md1 that disappeared,
you really want --partial (lvm command) rather than --removemissing.
Your metadata is updated and any knowledge about 'array' LV is now
almost gone due to the above 'vgreduce'. I say almost gone because it
might be there but you really need true LVM expertise now!

Did you save a copy of your old LVM metadata before the reboot? See your
/etc/lvm/backup/raid has any reference to 'array' LV at all.

--Malahal.