[linux-lvm] 2GB limit

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Tue Jan 20 09:34:37 UTC 2009

ml at bortal.de wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i have a 32bit Linux box with a 3Ware Raidcontroller and 4x 1TB disks.
> After installing Debian Etch i had to find out that i am running into
> some limits.
>
> Is there a way to use a Partition >2GB with 32Linux/LVM?

You hit the 2TB partition max size (I assume you mean 2TB and not 2GB).

With LVM you can use physical disks as a PV, e.g /dev/sdb instead of
/dev/sdb1. If you need to boot from the disk too, then you have to use a
partition table. With such a small RAID anyway, your easiest option in
that case is to create one root disk (and a /boot), say 20-30GB, on a
root vg, then two more partitions with the rest of the space and use
them as PVs for another vg for data/apps.

You can also put all three partitions into one VG if you prefer that.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: morten.torstensen at gmail.com

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer
Poland.
	-- Woody Allen