[linux-lvm] 2GB limit

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Tue Jan 20 16:43:49 UTC 2009

We have considerable experience getting parted to work. Basically, the
distinction between primary and extended partitions is not needed, nor are
partition types. There are other subtle differences too. Very annoyingly,
SOME versions of parted interpret megabytes and even kilobytes (but not
sectors) as decimal only. For these you have to use unit B (bytes) to regain
control. Experiment a little, to see what uses counting from 1 or counting
from 0, and what uses last-index or total-size, as these off-by-1 errors can
be killer.

Larry Dickson
Cutting Edge Networked Storage