[linux-lvm] 2GB limit

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Tue Jan 20 18:15:17 UTC 2009

On 1/20/09, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> wrote:

> Larry Dickson wrote:
>
>> We have considerable experience getting parted to work. Basically, the
>> distinction between primary and extended partitions is not needed, nor are
>> partition types. There are other subtle differences too. Very annoyingly,
>>

> Correct.
>
> SOME versions of parted interpret megabytes and even kilobytes (but not
>>

> Older versions, right?

1.6.19-1.EL had "standard" binary kB and mB.

1.8.1-17.el5 (CentOS 5.2), presumably a newer version, went to the
decimal-only kB and mB. There were a lot of other format changes in output,
too. We are on top of them, but decimal-only kB and mB is really a bad idea,
since it's inconsistent with all previous practice and also with sectors.

Larry Dickson

 sectors) as decimal only. For these you have to use unit B (bytes) to