[linux-lvm] Local + iSCSI disks

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 15:34:42 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Looking for thoughts on a VolGroup and LV made up of both local and
> remote, iSCSI attached disks.  Obviously it will work, but are there
> any settings or "gotchas" I should be aware of with this configuration?
> Obviously a speed penalty...

The period between the local devices becoming available and the iSCSI
volumes appearing will be potentially confusing for the LVM tools and
might need some special handling depending on how your distribution
manages LVM activation.

In future as LVM moves to having udev detect devices and call LVM to
have them activated this should get easier.

> I know I could also aggregate with the md driver and set things up to
> do writes/reads to a specific disk depending on whether or not its
> local, etc.  Anything like that in the LVM world?

There's the replicator target being worked on:

http://people.redhat.com/heinzm/sw/dm/dm-repl/

Regards,
Bryn.