[linux-lvm] Can't mount or run fdisk on an existing logical volume, help!

Adam Olsen arolsen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:55:50 UTC 2009

This pretty much sums it up:

imgserv:/storage/# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/storage/storage' [3.62 TB] inherit
imgserv:/storage/# fdisk /dev/storage/storage

Unable to read /dev/storage/storage

I can't mount it, access it with fdisk.  Here's the lvdisplay output:

imgserv:/storage/# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/storage/storage
  VG Name                storage
  LV UUID                Cw8aAr-YHsR-oVfH-7AAx-2ppa-Zm3M-U9z1eA
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                3.62 TB
  Current LE             948962
  Segments               3
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           254:0

This is on debian etch.   This is what I see at the end of dmesg:

cdrom: open failed.
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54

Which I don't think has anything to do with this problem, as hdc is
NOT one of the physical volumes... it's a cdrom drive.

Is there anything I can do to debug this?

--
Adam Olsen
SendOutCards.com