[linux-lvm] lvm2 confused about double UUID

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Mon Jul 27 01:22:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 at 19:50, Ron Johnson wrote:
> How did you split the mirrorset?

Sorry, I should've been more specific: the two disk mirror was no "LVM
mirror", it is an external two-disk enclosure where one can toggle a
little DIP switch to make it "RAID0" or "RAID1", etc. I split the
mirrorset via this very switch, now the system sees both external disks
instead of just one. Hence the disks itself haven't been touch during the
split, that's why they both have the same UUID.

> Did you reformat sdc before reusing it?  (That should give it a new UUID.)

No. That's what I wanted to do (get a new UUID, use sdc for something
else), but I'm afraid to do so since it's still somehow being used by LVM
- and I wonder why pvs(8) says "vg02 uses sdb" but it clearly does not.

I've run "pvs"more verbosely and put the output here:
http://nerdbynature.de/bits/lvm/

>> # uname -r
>> 2.6.24-24-xen                      <-- Ubuntu/8.04
>
> Shouldn't you be asking the Ubuntu forum?

Sure, if it turns out to be a (Ubuntu-)specific kernel/lvm2 issue, I'll do
so.

Thanks,
Christian.
--