[linux-lvm] lvm2 confused about double UUID

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Mon Jul 27 03:30:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 at 21:55, Ron Johnson wrote:
> So the issue seems really the deeper fact that you've got two physical devices
> with the same UUID.  All your lvm issues tumble out from there.
>
> Is that a good summary?

Yes, that's it. I know, having 2 physical volumes with the same UUID is
not cool and is certainly not supported, but due to the split that's what
I have here now and I assumed that I could convince LVM via the filter
directive to use a certain device for vg02. I mean, vg02 is working fine,
but I really want to format either sdb or sdc, but I'm afraid of
destroying something in the LVM layout...

Let me ask another thing: when I assume for a moment that "pvs" is lying
and really sdc is used for vg02, I'd go ahead and 1) pvcreate sdb, thus
assigning a new UUID to sdb and 2) remove the filter from lvm.conf. LVM
should not complain any more (since we have 2 different UUIDs now) and I/O
still goes to sdc, as it is now apparently. If things go wrong, how can I
restore the LVM header on sdb? (Would "pvcreate --uuid <old-UUID>" do the
trick? Or restoring with dd? How many bytes are changed when using
pvcreate?)

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #281:

The co-locator cannot verify the frame-relay gateway to the ISDN server.