[linux-lvm] lvm2 confused about double UUID

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Tue Jul 28 11:45:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 at 06:41, malahal at us.ibm.com wrote:
> I believe, "pvs" always rescans and just prints names it finds. It
> doesn't really tell what is used.

That's a pity then, I thought I could "trust" pvs to show what's really
used, without going to the devices - which I did, and iostat disagreed
with LVM. OTOH, this split mirror was confusing LVM, and me as well.

Anyway, I just went for it now: removed the filter= directives,
ran pvcreate on sdb, now we have different UUID and all LVs survived - all
but two, but these two were created after the split and must've been
written to sdb. I think this was done before I installed the filter= in
lvm.conf, because all the other LVs contain current data.

Lessons learned: deal with double UUIDs right after the mirror split, not
a weeks later (which I did, because the backup took that long, but that's
another story).

Thanks for all the comments on this,
Christian.
--