[linux-lvm] Exposing the same VG from two different disks

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Jun 5 14:34:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, liam at landv.org.uk wrote:

> I have a volume group which consists of a LUN (/dev/emcpowerv1) in an EMC
> cabinet. To backup up the disk I use EMC technology to synchronise a second
> LUN (/dev/emcpoweraf1) with the first, when the synchronisation is complete I
> then break the connection. At this point I have two identical volume groups
> exposed to the same host. What I would like to do is rename the second volume
> group and mount its logical volumes. However I can't because (understandably)
> LVM doesn't like having two identical volume groups so when I issue pvchange
> -u I get...

This is doable but tricky.  Please read back a few weeks in the archives
to find a script that is being polished to automate this.  I forget
the name of the person who did the script, but when you find the posts,
give him a big thank you.  Test the script carefully in your situation
and report here.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>