[linux-lvm] pvmove or lv mirror/unmirror

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed Jun 10 01:08:38 UTC 2009

> My doubt is... is it secure to use pvmove in disks with lots of data?
> I thought in using mirroring to keep my data safe, until breaking the
> mirror. All the syncing would be safer.
> This solution will work? What is the best option? May I move, or
> mirror, my data in a production environment?

I have some pvmovse on 1.5TB sections of data with success, I would warn you
it takes quite some time. Copying anything at the filesystem level takes
longer due to random access, if you want to try that use rsync repeated
times to get things right with minimum down time. DD works well for offline
systems, but you need to set a large block size.

Like ways though before a bit change make sure you have a backup!

James