[linux-lvm] pvremove won't work

Stefan Radovanovici stefan at nektulos.de
Wed Jun 10 05:48:06 UTC 2009

On 6/10/2009 7:38 AM, Luca Berra wrote:
>> I think I somehow messed up while trying to get rid of /dev/sda4. I
>> used a GUI for this not the CLI, first I tried to move the extents to
>> other PVs (which I think is that pvmove does) and then to actually
>> remove it from the group (which is probably what vgreduce does). If I
>> am not mistaken, the first operation gave an error even though it
>> appeared to have worked somehow at the time.
>>
> it seems to be some leftover from the pvmove operation, unfortunately i
> have no idea if some data was not actually moved correctly.
> did you record the error message the pvmove operation reported?

No, unfortunately not, it was just a popup in that GUI. The LVM is mounted now, with only the 2 remaining partitions as PVs, and so far the data seems to be in order so maybe pvmove worked. I guess I will live it at that and when the time comes, I will just remove the failing disk from the system.

Regards,
Stefan