[linux-lvm] Data deduplication in LVM?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Jun 10 18:41:52 UTC 2009

Hi all

I've been reading up a little about data deduplication, and have been
in search for an OSS filesystem with dedup without much luck. While
testing snapshots and so on in LVM, I started wondering if dedup would
be better off in LVM than in the filesystem. Would it be possible/
efficient to add dedup to the LVM layer, or perhaps a layer above LVM?
This could make dedup work for all or most of filesystems. Make a hash
table with 4k (or whatever) blocks, make virtual blocks pointing to
the physical blocks and run a remapping/deduping job at night. If
written to, copy-on-write could be used to increase speed.

Is this nonsense, or might it be an idea?

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å