[linux-lvm] S.I. and consistent units

Daniel Mierswa impulze at impulze.org
Tue Jun 30 12:05:26 UTC 2009

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> Firstly, any *functional* changes in the patch need to be identified:
> If, given identical data, any code reads in or writes out a different number as
> a result of the patch we need to consider implications carefully and
> document that change in release notes.
Agreed. I was just initially wondering if there is any kind of interest
in that separation at all. What exactly do you want me to identify now?
Do you want me to document the source where functional changes happen,
write a summary and attach it to the source or mail? I'm not aware of my
task for this. :P

> Secondly, in the man pages, where we list the units, it would be helpful to
> add a sentence each time to explain the difference between MB and MiB, in
> terms of multiples of 1000 vs multiples of 1024.
Yes, When writing I always thought that a single place describing the
units makes much more sence than to repeat it over and over again. I
will definitely fix this once I know what to identify (see above).

> Perhaps lvm.8 could have a paragraph about how LVM2 uses units
> throughout incl.  an external reference to something like
> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html (or the original standard
> if you can track that down).
Agreed aswell. The standard is ISO and not available for public viewing
online (ISO 80000). I bet we can find right prashing ourselves. :D

--
Mierswa, Daniel

If you still don't like it, that's ok: that's why I'm boss. I simply
know better than you do.
               --- Linus Torvalds, comp.os.linux.advocacy, 1996/07/22