[linux-lvm] kernel panic on lvcreate

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Tue Nov 3 15:07:44 UTC 2009

Hoping there's a quick answer to this issue and that I'm doing something wrong. Have verified this on 2 machines now, trying a third shortly. When I create a root snapshot on a fairly typical Centos 5.3 server:
lvcreate -s --size=500M --name=LogVol00_snapshot /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

then remove it:
lvremove /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00_snapshot

then create another one later:
lvcreate -s --size=500M --name=LogVol00_snapshot /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

I get a kernel panic. The server reboots ok, no issues with corrupt volumes. And the snapshot does exist after the reboot, so it looks like it is getting created ok before the panic stops the machine. Interestingly, lvcreate can create a regular LV without a panic and also a snapshot of another volume, but not another snapshot of the root volume.

BUT, if I rmeove the snapshot, reboot, and THEN create another root snapshot, it completes without errors. Any ideas on how to flush out lvm2 and manually do whatever is happening on reboot so I can create and remove snapshots without power cycling?

Thanks List!!

Christopher Hawkins