[linux-lvm] Unmounting file system hangs up...

André Gillibert rcvxdg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:38:35 UTC 2009

Thinking Outside the Well <rod.rook at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Fedora 10 and LVM. Lately when I shut down or restart the Linux
> box, it hangs at the stage of "Unmounting file system".
>

>    - Turning off swap  --- OK
>    - Turning off quotas --- OK
>    - Unmounting pipe file system  --- OK
>    - Unmounting file system ---  hangs up
>
> Although I can turn off or restart the box manually, I am a bit concerned
> whether it is the beginning of more serious problems later.
> Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

You should find exactly which command hangs.
It might be as simple as a fs that it cannot umount because it's busy.
Or maybe something like Fedora trying to umount a network file system after the network has been shut down.

In doubt, check the health of your disk with fsck, badblocks and smartmontools.

--
André Gillibert