[linux-lvm] Same file system after drive restore. Why?

Lou Arnold larnolda1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:21:26 UTC 2009

I am confused as to where LVM data is stored. Restoring  a disk image
doesn't seem to restore the original LVM set-up.

I have a small desktop with CentOS V5.3 on it. After installing a basic
system, I recorded an image of the *entire* hard drive. I then added a
second hard drive with a single partition via LVM (GUI). After a failure, I
restored the image, but I still see the same two-drive LVM configuration.
How is this possible?

Even during the kernel start-up, I saw notices of VolGroup00 problems -
something about reverting to "version 5", although the notices went by too
fast to record. I should just have seen the original configuration. I'm
stumped.

Lou.