[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:03:46 UTC 2009

> 2) I also tried adding the drive to the existing volume group (VolGroup00)
> and created a new logical volume group (LogVol02) for the drive. But again,
> the file browser shows different amounts of free space at root (31GB) vs
> after the mount point of the new drive (/mnt/X2nd40GB) (35 GB). Why does it
> not show 66 GB free no matter what folder I look at?

Free space, from the filesystem perspective, is based on how big the
underlying partition is. In this case you've created two "partitions"
( "/" and "/mnt/X2nd40GB") and now the free space is being reported
based on which partition the folder you're looking at resides in.

As an example, if I create a "partitioning" scheme in LVM (VolGroup01)
that mounts logical volumes at the following directories:

/ - 8GB/3GB free [LogVolRoot]
/home - 20GB/15GB free [LogVolHome]
/var - 5GB/1GB free [LogVolVar]

If I'm sitting in /home/andrew/mystuff the filesystem (LogVolHome)
will report I have say 15GB free. If I then move over to /var/www and
do the same there, I may only get 1GB reported free. This is because
free space is calculated based on which Logical Volume/filesystem I'm
sitting in at the time.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie