[linux-lvm] lvcreate on specific pv in system-config-lvm

Lou Arnold larnolda1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 00:45:43 UTC 2009

this may help:
Open the LVM GUI. Oh the left panel, open the Unallocated Entities. Select
on the PV (eg: /dev/hdd). Then click the Add to existing Volume Group
button, and choose VolGroup00.
After LVM reloads its data, look in the left panel. Let's assume you want to
extend LogVol00 to the new PV (or vice versa depending on how your mind
works). Open the VolGroup00 (Logical View) tree, and select LogVol00, and
click the Edit Properties button. In the Size panel you should see the
remaining free space; this is from the added PY. Before you actually do
this, find out how to undo it. I haven't found out yet.

So in summary, the process using the GUI is somewhat different than using
the LVM commands, but the results are the same.

There does seem to be something wrong in the GUI: Select the new PY in the
left panel, then click the Migrate Selected Extent(s) from volume. It asks
you to select some extents first, but there is no way of doing that.
Good luck.
Lou.