[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:28:47 UTC 2009

> The documentation wasn't specific. I believe the intent was simply to
> migrate the data to another logical volume to temporarily allow the source
> volume to be reduced and/or removed. But let's assume that has happened or
> that doesn't need to happen. So now we need to unmount LogVol00, reduce it
> to its original nunber of extents and then remount it (either before or
> after remount we remove the physical drive.) I assume you can't try this or
> you'll screw up your computer, but I have a system that I screw up and
> easily restore from a OS image. So no need to be too cautious.

I've done this on several occasions.

If you want to play with various scenarios in LVM, I'd recommend
reading the LVM How-To @ http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/ . Sections
11 & 13 cover the most common tasks you'll encounter in LVM. Play
around, don't be afraid to break things, and if you have questions
feel free to give the list a shout.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie