[linux-lvm] Total free space using added VGs and LVs

Lou Arnold larnolda1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:41:23 UTC 2009

Ryan, Thanks for your suggestion. I know it works, but I had hoped to have a
solution that didn't stop the whole system while I fixed it.

To Drew:
I think you were quite right when you spoke about planning the file system.
I've come to realize that my question is somewhat naive. One simply doesn't
do what I wanted to exactly because there is no easy way to dismantle it. It
would be better to partition off some part of the OS drive and add that to a
new volume group (or a new logical volume group) and mount that under
"/mnt", and then add whatever partitions on new drives to that logical
volume. That logical volume could be dismounted and worked on, whereas
whatever is under root cannot be worked on easily.
Regards,
Lou.