[linux-lvm] Re: [Xen-users] LVM Read/Write speed <10% drive's normal speed: SOLVED

Stephen Hamer Stephen.Hamer at jhuapl.edu
Thu Sep 17 18:05:52 UTC 2009

WOW. Thank you all for the overwhelming response!!! I'm going to answer
you all in order of who replied first.
(NOTE: the solution is in the 2nd section. Thanks Oliver!)
-Stephen

==================================
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 03:41 -0400, Robert Dunkley wrote:

> >Hi Stephen,
> >Can you please post your DomU config file to the list.
> >Rob

Sure, without any of the comments, here it is (without the true names or
IPs, of course):

kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-686'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-xen-686'
memory      = '1024'
root        = '/dev/hda2 ro'
disk        = [ 'phy:/dev/xenvg/testVM1-swap,hda1,w',
                  'phy:/dev/xenvg/testVM1-root,hda2,w', ]

name        = 'testVM1'

vif = [ 'ip=192.168.0.100' ]

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

# Needs to be inserted to allow console to attach to VM
extra="console=hvc0 xencons=tty"

This was generated by xen-tools (after a little modification to
xen-tools xm.tmpl). I like how easy xen-tools is to expand upon. For
example, I used 'xen-update-image' as a model to create my own
'xen-image-cmd' which can pass a single command to multiple offline
domUs. Works just like 'xen-update-image', except for the fact that you
can pass ANY command that the domU can execute AND you can force the
output to be redirected to a file INSIDE the chrooted image. I was sort
of proud of myself for that scripting voodoo. =D

==================================
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 03:45 -0400, Olivier B. wrote:

> >Hi,
>
> >what mount options do you use on the DomU ?
> >Under Debian there is xen-tools example with the "sync" mount options :
> >if you use it, writes will be really slow.
>
> >Olivier

THIS is where the money is. Once I removed the 'sync' option from the
fstab for my root partition, the I/O speed sailed. Makes sense, really.
This got the VM's performance to actually BEAT the old bare metal
machine that we were running this server on before.
Thanks for your help!

==================================
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 06:21 -0400, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> What is the configuration of the guest's storage? I.e. what type of virt
> driver are you using to expose the dom0 storage to the domUs? This can
> have a massive impact on the performance levels you can achieve.
>
> You should also test the performance of these underlying devices in the
> domUs - i.e. benchmark read (and if possible write) performance of
> the /dev/sd*, /dev/hd* or /dev/xvd* devices seen in domU (or whatever
> other type of virtual disks you are using).
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

I'm not PRECISELY sure what you mean here, but I think you're referring
to the xen driver used to pass the storage in as a block dev. to the
domU. If that is what you mean, I used the 'phy:' command. The
performance of the /dev/hda* inside the domU is what I was mentioning
trying to benchmark simplistically with 'dd'.
- A 'dd' command in my dom0 on the true physical /dev/sda1 got 100
MB/s.
- Before I turned off 'sync', a 'dd' command on /dev/hda2 inside my domU
(physically a 10GB LVM on the physical device /dev/sda5) got 3 MB/s.
I noted later that running a DD command directly to another LVM on that
same VG as the others got comparable performance to the 100 MB/s. That
was my first indicator that the domUs were doing something nasty.
- After I turned off 'sync', a 'dd' command on that same /dev/hda2
inside the same domU got 100 MB/s!

==================================
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 10:59 -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:

> Your domU's--are they paravirt, or HVM?

I believe they're paravirtualized, unless I'm doing something silly.
They're running off the modified kernel, and I'm not doing any hardware
forwarding magic. See config file at the top.

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 11:16 -0400, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> I suggest you try using official xen.org's 2.6.18 kernel, or other
> vendor-supported 2.6.18 kernel-xen (like RHEL5's kernel-xen, or even
> Etch's kernel) for both domU and dom0 and see if the problem persists.

I've noticed a couple of quirks in the startup sequence of my domUs, I
figured it had something interesting to do with the kernel. I'll look
into using one of those kernels. Thanks!