[linux-lvm] Disk crash on LVM

Fredrik Skog fredrik.skog at rodang.se
Tue Sep 22 13:27:30 UTC 2009

Hi

I'll update you on the progress with my crashed hd.
I'm not yet finished with the pvmove from the device because it won't work
for very long at a time.
If I have the drive in room temperature and then put it in the freezer for
25-30mins it works for maybe 15-20min (the drive still in the freezer)and i
get a pvmove progress of about 15-20%.
If I then shut it down and just let it cool again I get maybe 5-7% more out
of it before it dies.Prolonging the time in the freezer doesn't seem to help
at all, in fact sometimes it's worse and the drive doesn't start at all. The
drive seems to need a few hours warm-up time after it's been frozen and then
stopped working before I can refreeze it again.
It takes ridiculous amounts of time fiddling with this, but I hope to get to
the finish soon.
I have not yet tried to increase the readahead.

/Fredrik