[linux-lvm] LVM mirror resync

malahal at us.ibm.com malahal at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 24 01:26:48 UTC 2009

brem belguebli [brem.belguebli at gmail.com] wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Am I using the right method to simulate a drive failure by echoing
> a scsi delete ? How would behave the scsi layer in case a disk came to
> physically disappear ?

You are using a right method. You could pull the cables physically but
it is not going to make any difference to LVM mirror behaviour.

> 2) If the above method is correct, isn't the role of the mirror log to
> keep track of region changes  in case of a drive failure to be able to
> incrementally resync the mirror when the missing drive is back to
> operation?

Yes, but the implementation is not complete yet! Without the mirror
log (corelog), every reboot needs a complete resync. Mirror log is used
to avoid that but nothing more at this point!

>  Missing drive is not replaced, the UUID is the same, the problem
> could have occured at scsi connectivity not on the physical media (SAN
> failure for instance).
>
> 3) if so, why does disappear the log device from the VG though being
> on a physically present device ?

If you really look at your LV, it is no more a mirror. It is just a
linear LV! So your failed mirror leg as well as your mirror log are not
used. "dmeventd" will remove the failed mirror leg from the VG. It
probably removed the now unused mirror log also.

> 4) when the missing drive is back again,
>     4-1)  why does it appear as not belonging to its original VG ?

Because it was removed from the VG in the first place. The metadata on
other disks is the latest and is used.

>     4-2) why doesn't it get automatically resync'ed by dmeventd ? .

It doesn't know any better! It doesn't know that it was a mirror.

> The recover process seems to be to reconstruct from scratch the mirror
> treating the failed and back again drive as a totally new drive.

Yes! I heard that mdadm (raid1) can do (optimal resyncs) what you want
but I have no direct experience. You may want to try that if you need
this feature.