[linux-lvm] grow lv bug - pvs -v display bug

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 25 15:12:44 UTC 2009

On 09/22/2009 08:32 AM, malahal at us.ibm.com wrote:
> Hugh [whobedobe at dodo.com.au] wrote:
>>      Scanning for physical volume names
>>    PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree  DevSize PV UUID
>>    /dev/sdb2  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   67.91G 20.00G  47.93G eCuGyH-jV7L-Tgdg-JyYW-
>> sWK1-ehZY-OLw0WS
>
> DevSize is smaller than PSize!
Exactly what I was saying, yes PFree is indicating +'ve 20GB free, not
-'ve 20GB Free. Looks at the very least like a bug in pvsc -v

I am guessing that my gui tool system-config-lvm uses the lvs PFree
value to suggest that it can expand an lv into pv free space. But if
this value was correct (ie showing as negative), then maybe it wouldn't
suggest that there is pv free space, and then fail inexplicably when the
user attempts to use some of that "anti-free" space ?

As well as displaying "-" space free, it might make sense for the tool
to suggest there is something wrong with the setup, since the printed
values don't actually make any sense (eg like assert (pvsize - pvusage)
<> pvfree) to push the admin to see the problem.

DaveT.