[linux-lvm] confusing error message from lvm2

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Fri Apr 2 20:29:55 UTC 2010

I'm confused about an error message I'm seeing from LVM2.  The message is:

+ /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/vgs --noheadings --units g --nosuffix --separator
: -o
name,size,free,extent_size,extent_count,free_count,max_lv,lv_count,snap_count
v4c
  Path /dev/ACTION=_change_ no longer valid for device(252,7)
  Path /dev/DEVTYPE=_disk_ no longer valid for device(252,7)
  Path /dev/PWD=_/_ no longer valid for device(252,7)
  Path /dev/DM_STATE_ACTIVE=_1_ no longer valid for device(252,7)
  v4c:8.00:4.00:0.00:2047:1023:0:4:2

I'll attach a copy of a script that exhibits the problem consistently
and in only a few seconds.  The script presupposes that a volume group
named "v4c" exists.  Mine is 8G and is located on a physical disk.
(Well, really a vmware virtual disk, but I doubt that the kernel running
in the virtual machine really cares.)

I'm seeing this on amd64 ubuntu-9.10 updated current as of this posting.

Can anyone explain to me what this means or why I'm getting it?

--rich