[linux-lvm] resize an LVM physical volume

behzad r b_rahimi at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:19:42 UTC 2010

Hello

One of the client has a bladeframe that contains two linux nodes(one is prode and other one is test both have the same OS and are virtualized ) and I have a primergy that has a virtualized linux node on it by using vmware
On client system there is a lun(EMC) that contains one partition /dev/sde1 , the partition is already enveloped by LVM , they have  increased the lun but I need to increase the physical partition /dev/sde1 , I have created the following procedure that is working on virtualized linux node on primergy

umount /partition that must be increased
pvdisplay /dev/sde2 | grep VG
vgchange -a n myvg
fdisk /dev/sde
delete the partition and recreate a new one with same start cylinder and increase the number of cylinder
pvresize /dev/sde1
vgchange -a y myvg
reiserfsck /dev/myvg/mylv

but on bladeframe when I use the fdisk to increase the partition the system destroy everything the physical volume reject the partion  /dev/sde1 (when I run pvdisplay it's not on the list anymore)and all the data is destroyed I got a feeling that fdisk remove the /dev/sda1 and re-create a new one
here is the kernel information concerning the bladeframe

#cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 1
# uname -a
Linux 2.6.16.46-0.12-smp #1 SMP Thu May 17 14:00:09 UTC 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And the virtualized node on primergy

#cat SuSE-release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 1
SLES10-LVM:/etc # uname -a
Linux 2.6.16.46-0.12-default #1 Thu May 17 14:00:09 UTC 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

We come up with another solution to create a new partion
Fdisk new partition
pvcreate /dev/sde2
vgextend myVG /dev/sde2

but this is not the right one