[linux-lvm] Can't remove snapshot at first

Wed Aug 25 12:14:27 UTC 2010

Hello!

2010/8/25 Milan Broz <mbroz at redhat.com>:
> On 08/25/2010 10:12 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> I noticed, that rather often, I'm unable to remove an unused
>> snapshot volume at first command execution. See this:
>>
>> --($ ~)-- sudo /sbin/lvremove /dev/Sys/Home-Backup_Snapshot
>>   Can't remove open logical volume "Home-Backup_Snapshot"
>>
>> --($ ~)-- sudo /sbin/lvremove /dev/Sys/Home-Backup_Snapshot
>> Do you really want to remove active logical volume Home-Backup_Snapshot? [y/n]:
>>
>> Between those two commands, I did not do anything at all! I ran the
>> commands directly after each other in like 5 seconds or so.
>
> I t is possible that udev run some async scan in reaction to even (during snap manipulation).
>
> Distro maintainers should probably update lvm udev rules
> (and possibly udisks rules etc) to work relieably.

Guess so.

> Upstream lvm2 with combination of recent udev and udisks package
> should have this fixed (hopefully).

Hm. I have udisks 1.0.1 installed.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/DeviceKit/DeviceKit-disks/
lists 1.0.1 as the most recent, so what should Arch Linux do in this
case?

Same for udev - http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/?C=M;O=D
lists udev-161 as the latest and I do have udev-161 installed.

But LVM2 is indeed out of date - I've got 2.02.70. Would've .71 or .73 have
fixed this?

BTW: I'm on kernel 2.6.35.3-1. Well, I guess that should be 2.6.35.3,
but should the
uname -a output show 2.6.35.3?

Alexander
--