[linux-lvm] Determine boot disk device name...

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Dec 2 03:12:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Stephane Chazelas wrote:

> > For starters, how can I determine the physical device name of
> > current/active boot disk in Linux?
> [...]
>
> Please clarify what you mean by "physical device" and "boot disk"
> especially when refered to as "current/active".

I think he means the device that will be used at the next boot (where
"device" can be network), which is of course a BIOS question.  He may be coming
from AIX where there is a command to query and set the boot device list in the
BIOS config.

Such a utility is easy with openfirmware.  It is feasible with proprietary
firmware, but has to know about a lot of variations on CMOS layout.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>