[linux-lvm] A hint on a process

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Sun Dec 12 13:20:04 UTC 2010

Hello !
Here I am again.
The migration went well. Here is a synopsis of what I've done (including
finding a second drive with lot of SMART errors...)
Bought 2 SATA 320G disks (different make/model...)
Make a set of backups of every partitions on the machine. Check the dump
are readable and stored in a safe place ;-)
Remove one failed 160 GB disk from raid 1 array (software raid, with 3
disks.)
Physically replace the disk with one 320 GB disk. Partition the new disk
to have the small partition for /boot identical as it is on the previous
disk, allocate the remaining space to the second partition. toggle them
both to raid autodetect.

Add each partition to the two arrays. Wait for synchronisation.
Repeat for the two other disks.
When done, you've a raid array saying that it's size is 150 GB and this
on a roughly 320 GB partition.
Do a mdadm /dev/md1 --grow --size=max on the offending array, wait for
the synchronisation to take place, and when done do a pvresize /dev/md1.
Et voila, you're done. You've got a 320GB PV based on a RAID 1 device...
Many thanks for your help !

P.S. : I'm a bit paranoid and know my wife will forgot to tell me that
the computer said "something funny this morning" so I build my arrays
with 3 disk for a mirror...
Having been bitten by a bad disk lot, which make me loose all my data
because all disks died in a couple of hours, I build my arrays with
mixed brands/models to avoid this. I loose a couple of sectors here and
here but, IMHO it is worth it....